I've been moving for a week and a half and I'm STILL not done. Today should be the last major project as we go pick up furniture being given to us by some friends of Laura's and then bring it to our apartment. I can't complain, because I'm getting a free bed out of the deal and we're also getting bookshelves, kitchen table, etc. Still, I'm tired of climbing all those stairs carrying heavy objects! And tired of living out of boxes, and cleaning, and sleeping in a sleeping bag. But it will all be over soon. On Sunday I completed my cleaning duties at the Harlem House, so that's over and done with. All that remains is to move in this new furniture and then unpack.
Saturday Laura, Clint, and I headed out to Long Island to get the first run of furniture. We took the Long Island Railroad to Rockville Centre, where we were met by Kevin, a guy that Debby works with, who had her van for us (it was there because she dropped her stuff off at his house until she can move it into her new place in September, and she's now in Minnesota for the rest of the summer). We took the van to Ikea and commenced a three-hour, thousand-dollar shopping spree to fill in what would be lacking in the free stuff we're getting from Laura's friends. I have a very short shopping attention span, so I was done about five minutes in, but I'm happy because we got a great sofa and coffee table, and I myself was able to purchase a cabinet for the kitchen and my own dresser and wardrobe (I must be an adult, because those are the first pieces of furniture I've ever bought with my own money). Don't get excited - I still haven't been paid for my job - but my boss gave me another loan this weekend so I could buy stuff for my apartment. Ikea is a fun place to shop if you like showrooms and complicated item retrieval systems. But I have to say that I did highly enjoy the shopping carts, which have wheels that move sideways so they don't lock and get stuck on you (why did no one ever think of that before?). On the way back, we had so much stuff that I had to sit on the sofa cushions against the sliding door; if we'd been hit, I'd be dead (sorry Mom - although it might comfort you to know that the whole time I heard your voice in my head telling me to "always wear my seatbelt"). Luckily, we made it back ok and unloaded the stuff. A couple guys from our building had helped us move in the week before, and we gave them a little something in thanks, so as soon as it became apparent that we had another load, about five or six guys showed up - I guess we have a reputation as good tippers now. Hopefully now that we're moved in that won't be an issue anymore.
And so, we are almost in. Tonight's the last night of moving, and then we'll actually fell like we live there instead of just sleep there. And praise God for the window A/C we have in the living room, because the mercury is going to top out at 100 degrees the next two days. I need some fall, now! And I miss the Harlem House. I'm glad to be moved on and to feel like a little bit more of an adult (and more of a New Yorker - this place feels a whole lot more like what I expected to have in the city), but I'm going to miss living with Deven, Diva, and Jonathan so much. They are the reason this summer hasn't been a complete disaster (seeing as how I am doing a job I can't stand for free and the weather here is even more miserable than down south), and I'm so thankful for the three months I lived with them. So thank You Lord, for my time with my three friends, and for the new season we're all moving into. And send cool weather! Love, Michelle
Song In My Head: "You Are My Joy" - thanks to David Crowder for reminding me that joyful worship is a mandatory response to everything.
1 comment:
"And he set me on fire,
I am burning alive.
With his breath in my lungs,
I am coming undone."
Oh your move is OVA!!! hoorrraaaayyy :)
Post a Comment