Well, I had written this very detailed post about how cold it is in New York and then my computer froze. Quite frankly, I'm not all that interested in retyping it, particularly because the Super Bowl starts in fifteen minutes and I am rooting for da Bears. Mostly because it's fun to say da Bears (and they haven't been in the Super Bowl since before I knew anyone said it like that). And I'm basically indifferent toward the Colts, so da Bears it is.
Anyway, the point I was trying to make in the lost entry was that I really miss St. Simons Island right now. Mostly due to the time of year. It's a balmy 53 degrees down there and I think it rarely gets much below 50. During the summer, it's pretty miserable, but the ocean thing basically makes up for it. Manhattan is an island, but it's also surrounded by mainland and other islands, so you actually have to go out to Long Island to see any legitimate ocean. It is a beautiful place, and by far the most beautiful of any that I've ever lived in. New York inspires a kind of raw, intense fascination, but St. Simons was like constant awe. I'm more of a mountain girl, and I suppose that if I'd seen the ocean before I was fourteen, I would've been less impressed by it, but somehow, in my two summers in St. Simons, the ocean never got ordinary. I really really miss being able to hop on my bike and ride along the sand while the sun rose. I miss the time I spent in St. Simons, too, and the people I was with. The fact that I'm saying that only illustrates my perpetual struggle with discontentment, because the truth is there were things about both summers that I hated, and I was definitely ready to go at the end. But it was really a wonderful place to be, and thinking about it makes me miss Jenny, Kimberly, Josh, PJ, and Eric a lot. And truthfully, what can only be described as the best weekend of my entire life was spent there, in July of 2005. Josh and I were there already, and then four of our best friends from college came down to visit us, and it was like 90% of my closest friends, all together, with Catch Phrase, Barbara Jean's sweet tea, and the ocean in the mix. It was so good I don't think I can find words. Anyway. Enough gushing. I miss St. Simons, but I know during the summer I missed Pottersville and Denver, and every other cold place I've ever lived, so I'm trying very hard to stay in the moment and not lose sight of the good things that I'll miss when this season is over. I'm finding that to be a great challenge. And I'm sure I'll have more to say about it in the days to come.
Two weeks till mid-winter break ... holding tight.
Song In My Head: "Rain Down" - David Crowder - that song is ALL St. Simons for me
No comments:
Post a Comment