Untitled
Once, as you took in the view across the Silver Creek Valley,
your goggles filled with snow.
This happens sometimes.
But what doesn’t happen sometimes
is that your leg starts to bend
under you and you fall, slowly, twisting.
What also doesn’t happen is that your binding sticks
and your boot doesn’t release
so that your leg bends but your foot stays straight.
Another thing that doesn’t happen is that you ride down the mountain
in an orange plastic sled that doesn’t quite hold you still,
towed by a ski patroller who was watching Baywatch in the shed
and really didn’t want to be bothered
so now he is not being very careful about bumps.
You don’t arrive at the bottom,
accompanied by your father,
and hobble back to the car.
Your father doesn’t insist you are fine
and drive you home without stopping at the doctor.
Your little brother doesn’t laugh at you
and steal your last chicken finger.
Your mom isn’t out with a friend when you need her.
The next day, you don’t hop around on one leg,
occasionally falling, and thinking, “That’s not good.”
You don’t go back to school on Monday with a neon pink cast
thigh high.
And your friends don’t sign it,
“Get well soon! Best friends forever! Don’t ever change!”
And you don’t miss an entire softball season.
No, this doesn’t happen.
Your ski works exactly like it’s supposed to.
You shove your boot back inside.
Clean out your goggles with your scarf.
Finish the run.
No Rain
The first thing I noticed was your eggplant-colored watchband
And I thought
That’s colorful
I wouldn’t have given you a second look
Except
The San Francisco Giants were winning the World Series
On the television behind you
And I couldn’t look away from that
The third drink you bought me was too sweet
But by then I hardly noticed
By then the only thing I saw
Was the smooth nakedness of your fourth finger
And how perfectly it matched my own
You walked me back to my apartment
And on the corner of 5th and A the snow began to fall
I shivered
You wrapped your arm around me
I counted the freckles on the bridge of your nose
Before I got to the sixth you were kissing me
Under a streetlight like a glowing oasis in the darkness
I brought you up to the seventh floor
And we stood on the terrace, watching the snowflakes silently fall
I couldn’t hear the traffic on the street anymore
All I could hear was you softly humming
Beethoven’s Eighth, or was it Ninth?
It didn’t matter
Before long we headed back downstairs
You hated to go, you said, but you had an early morning
I watched you walk away into the October blackness
Wondering when I would see you
And why the tenth months is named as if it were the eighth
I went inside and sat on the floor against my front door
Still feeling your fingertips on my clavicle
In the eleventh inning
Something had begun to stir
I lay on my bed, perfectly still
The clock chimed for the twelfth time
I closed my eyes
The Baptist
You leap in the womb
At the announcement of His conception
Your direction from the beginning
Is to declare His coming
Camel skin tailored for a prophet
Your leather-covered steps knew only one course
Beside the riverbank you wait
A reed untouched by wind, unbroken
They come to you, hearing your call
They go beneath the water
Cooled from the desert sun
Purified and made new
Held by your hands
Hands which you will use for nothing else
When they question
You only point
To Him
Did you know what becoming less would mean?
Did you own the end as you did the beginning?
Can you drink this cup?
Others stumble and fall
Washed away by doubt
Only to be lifted up by a strong hand
But you don’t fall
You have no questions
You know your purpose
Your life, devoted to one who would save you,
Lost in one instant
You no longer own it
The sand shifts in the desert
The heat bears down
Your eyes, wide open, stare from your head
Which sits on a silver platter
No one bothers to close them
No one looks into them
If anyone did
They might see a question
“Should we expect someone else?”
I Am Tired
I am tired of writing poems
Of cutting open veins so that my blood spills out on the page
Decorating it with splotches that resemble the faces of everyone I know
I am tired of trying to decide how I feel
About my grandfather’s death or my cat’s
The end of summer or the first snowflakes
I am tired of half-inspired attempts to name the things in my life
So that my childhood home becomes a symbol for loss
And my father is protection
And my job is the struggle for identity
Is it too much to ask to just let these things be what they are?
Why is it necessary to snip off little pieces of myself
And use them to build lines and stanzas?
These poems now come to represent my dissatisfaction with myself
That my turns of phrase don’t quite ring like church bells on a clear night
That my metaphors don’t paint swirls of color on a blank white world
That my sound patterns don’t beat like a jungle drum announcing the coronation of a king
I am tired of plunging deep into layers of heart and brain
In search of tiny gifts of truth that my reader can cling to
Like a cord thrown into a pile of quicksand
I am tired of worrying that perhaps there is no such truth
Or that in trying to find it I will instead bump into great volcanoes of fear and fallenness
Or that I won’t be able to tell of what I do find in a new way
Or at least a freshly laundered way
I am tired of writing poems
But they come out like breath, and blood, and flame
Unbidden
A Life Without Loss
On a bare frigid morning,
I put an empty cup on the porch rail
to catch snowflakes.
That afternoon, we buried my neighbor’s husband,
seven days after his first seizure.
His wife, holding an infant, wept.
A toddler gripped her hand.
She handed the baby to me,
and I took him,
because I wasn’t holding anything else.
I would return to my home
and find it just as I left it.
The only change my cup,
now overflowing with snow.
1 comment:
I really like The Baptist. :)
Post a Comment