Tuesday, March 1

Some More Poems

This is the only kind of writing I have time for right now. Whether or not anyone was reading my posts about books, I will get back to them at some point!

When God Closes a Door

I spend a lot of time staring at doors these days.
Every place I go could be the place,
and every day could be the day.
More often than not, someone
will walk through a door
whom I find worth considering.
So I consider:
Surely that guy's hairline has receded
as much as it's ever going to.
And that one is wearing sweatpants
because the rest of his clothes are in the wash.
And that one is only talking to himself
because he's trying out pick-up lines for me.
In my head, I've already told our grandchildren
the whole story of our first meeting.
Of course, then he leaves
without so much as a word.
I should feel disappointed but, really,
I'm just glad I won't have to grow old with those sweatpants.
Another door has closed.
I think I'll start watching windows instead.


Madison Square, February

In a certain light,
the trees in the park look stronger
than the buildings.
Winter's fog slides silently by,
wrapping the Flatiron in its diaphanous fingers.
But branches resist the fog's pull into ghostland.

Who can tell the difference
between a branch and a root?

One curls toward the sky,
asking that we trust it is immovable,
and will not be carried away,
offering no proof,
other than its stillness in the twilight,
when some are tempted to nod off
and let go.

The other creeps into the frozen ground,
wending its way through
the wilderness below,
an arm fortified by a single-mindedness
that we could never equal.

A branch is the same,
only it seeks to cling to the winter sky.
When the mist claims everything else,
holding it hostage through the night,
the trees only seem to grow stronger,
holding on with root and branch,
undisturbed even by a slow decay
that begins to seep.


At the Lord's Command (Numbers 9:15-23)

He delivered us from slavery, and now
we owe all our allegiance to Him.
So many laws and regulations, all given
to consecrate us,
set us apart,
make us holy.
Many men are charged with ensuring
that all the laws are obeyed, all the time,
and that proper sacrifices are made
when laws are broken.

But that's not what I do.
I am the watcher of the tabernacle cloud.
When it stays, we stay,
and when it moves, we move,
and I'm the one who catches the movement.
The cloud doesn't feel like a rule.
It feels like a guide in the sky,
directing us where to go, and when.

On clear days, it's a perfect pillar of billowing white,
turning itself inside and out, over and over,
every moment becoming new.
On stormy days, it's turbulent,
its surface reflecting the raindrops as they fall.
But I love night best of all.
At night, when the last whisper of daylight
has disappeared over the horizon,
and the sky has deepened to black,
at that moment, the edge of the cloud seems to ignite.
A thread of flame travels along the bottom,
filling the cloud with orange light,
and then the cloud itself nearly erupts.
No longer a white whirlwind, now it's a towering column of fire
no one can miss.

I watch the cloud day and night,
from the moment the fire begins
to the moment it goes out, and back again.
The cloud hovers over the tabernacle,
and as long as it is still, so are we.

Then, without warning, the cloud begins to stir.
I'm the first to see, and I run through the camp, shouting an alert.
"Pack up! Hurry! It's time to go!"
Before the cloud is out of sight, we're on the move.

We follow the cloud for as long as it goes,
and when it stops, we stop.
We set up camp and resume our living,
and I resume my watching.


Home

I lived in a box with a rocky top. 8-year
-old eyes closed every night on the dusky gray blue
silhouette of mountains against a sherbet sky.
An enormous sky, with few trees to interrupt.
But the trees that did grow sank their roots in deeply,
and held on tight. I breathed the sweet smell of campfire
smoke that drifted through the pines on autumn evenings.
I never wondered whether there was anything
more than my broken-in baseball glove, my tattered
sneakers, and my big sky. I was one person there,
the same one I've always been, surrounded by those
who made me that way. Safety can be frightening, too.

I live on a floating
sliver, concrete and stone
puzzle that hides the sun
often as not. Alone,
I turn corner after
corner, search for challenge.
This block smells like curry,
and this one like kimchi,
and this one like diner
food, beer. I want to try
every one. I take each
step with a different pair
of shoes. Can someone die
from excessive walking?
I know that if I leave,
I will never come back.


Love and Baseball

Take me on the road with you, my love.
Let's visit Wrigley, Fenway, Camden, Arlington,
and all the rest, named for those
who own the rights to the world.
When the sun is high,
let's roll the windows down and sing
"Don't Stop Believin'" at the top of our lungs.
Let's stop by the side of the road
and dance on the shoulder,
shoulder to shoulder.

If you ask me to marry you on the pitcher's mound,
you won't have to ask twice.
And I'll say "I do" on the steps of the dugout
so I won't have to spend one more inning away from your side.
I want to forget that anything matters
except for our collection of foul balls,
your sun-warmed skin glancing off mine,
and the view from the top row, where our nosebleeds are worth
the pennies we saved by sitting there.

Let's fall asleep curled up in a blanket,
just us and the cooling stars.
Soon the sun will set before the first pitch,
and we'll know it's time to head home.
Don't bother to knock the dirt off your shoes at the door, my love.
I want every inning to stay with us.

Let's find love on the diamond
and sing each other to sleep, because
that's the only language w share.
That, and nine innings on grass and dirt.
I'll always see you in the morning.

4 comments:

leeanne said...

umm... the Numbers poem is beautiful.

Jenny Fleming said...

You know I'm all over the When God Closes a Door poem. I love the line that he's talking to himself about pick-up-lines.

Anonymous said...

this is REALLY GOOD writing. I'm enjoying the image of a "sherbet" sky. :D

wow!

-daddy

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love your description of trees in "Madison Square, February"!!