I promise, I really meant to update more frequently than this ) Part of it is still having internet problems with my computer, and part of it just trying to absorb everything and not really being ready to write about it yet. But, here is the latest.
House, etc. - So far the house has been the best thing about living here. All my housemates are really great. We are still trying to conceive a vision for next year that will determine whether Adrienne, our landlord, lets us stay on as a group. I think we are mostly on the same page about that; it's just a matter of fine tuning it and verbalizing it. It's exciting to be in the midst of a somewhat rundown, struggling neighborhood and to be a part of such a committed community. I think the Lord has really big plans for this house. And, probably the best news for an introvert like me - even though I share a room with Debby, I've kind of taken over the office as my own because it has my computer and my books - and hardly anyone else ever comes in there b/c they don't really have a reason to. Yay for introvert time :)
Job, etc. - By far the most frustrating part thus far. It's looking like it's not going to work out for me to be a substitute simply because of all the requirements for getting on the list. I've been down to the Department of Ed office several times and have yet to hear the same thing from two people. Every time I think I've got everything I need, someone else points something out that I don't have. I even paid to get fingerprinted twice because of a misunderstanding, which made me really upset. The latest is that I won't be able to even turn my application in until I have my college transcripts, which of course won't be available until after graduation. By then it's getting toward the end of the school year and I'm wondering if it's worth it. In light of that, I've decided to pursue another means of paying the bills for the summer. I have an interview with a family on Tuesday in Queens to be a nanny for them. I'm hoping that or something like it works out, because I'd much rather work for a family than at a business. It's discouraging to think that I might not get the in-classroom experience I wanted prior to my first year, but part of me wonders if I'm not supposed to go into it totally unprepared (so that I'll be humble and dependent). I wanted an urban placement for my student teaching and I didn't get that either. That doesn't mean I should stop trying to work out the substitute thing, but I don't want to miss an opportunity to get another job and save up some money (or at least make rent). Anyway, I don't really know how this is all going to turn out, but I'm learning a LOT about trusting the Lord to provide.
Church, etc. - I'm hungry for fellowship beyond just my house, but I'm trying to be patient and really find a place where I can serve and be fed in the long term. On Friday I attended a Bible study that my roommate Debby leads on the Upper West Side. It is a college group from a church in Chinatown. That was really neat, just to be with people about my age and experience the body of Christ. I love the diversity of the city, and this group definitely reflected that. I don't know if I'm going to continue to go just because I know every church I visit will have some kind of small group ministry, but it's nice just to start making connections with people. I want to attend every church represented in my house at least once, so today I went to Christ Church NYC with my housemates Clint and Laura. It is an Anglican church plant in midtown. The service was very traditional and liturgical, even more so than I'm used to at my Presbyterian church in Athens. It's not my favorite kind of service, but the sermon was good and the fellowship there was really great. I never expected to be approached and welcomed by so many people. Because it's a small church, it was obvious that I was new, so I met a lot of people. We also went out to brunch after the service and I got to talk with the pastor (who is from Australia) for a long time. It was very encouraging. I think I could easily become a part of a body like that b/c the people are proactive in relationships. I've got a lot of other churches to check out, though, so I don't know if/when I'll end up back there. Still, it's just so encouraging to know that even if I didn't like a single other church I visited, this one had great fellowship and preaching.
Hmm ... I guess that's it for now. Oh, except that I love living in New York City! If I have to be struggling to find a job, I'm so glad it's here. I spent most of the day yesterday in Central Park, which is a great place. You should know that you are welcome to visit me and we can go wherever you want, but we will probably walk, because I love walking in the city.
Song In My Head: "The Giving" - Michael W. Smith. I know it's probably a crime to include two Michael W. Smith songs in five blog entries, but in my defense it's an instrumental piece. Surprisingly, the guy's not a bad composer. And this song is particularly well done. I listened to it a lot in the park yesterday.
2 comments:
Down with Michael W. Smith! Adam loves him, but I'm not so into him so much. How 'bout a little David Herndon? Anyone, anyone...
Hi!!!!!!!! I love your blogspot! It's like you're sharing your diary with us! Not quite...but close. It's so good to get detailed updates. I love it and I love you! I miss you too! We all do. It's LATE, I gotta go. But I will write again soon. Love and hugs, mama xo
Post a Comment