Tuesday, May 2

Finally Here!

It's my second night at Harlem House, so there isn't a whole lot to tell yet, but I wanted to go ahead and send out a quick rundown for my faithful readers :) Right now I'm using Becca's computer b/c my internet is being a pest, but as soon as it gets up I'll post pictures.

Ok, so far this has been crazy! I think I'm bouncing back and forth between two major emotions, and they change about every five minutes on average. The first is just ecstasy - I mean, I'm in New York! There is so much to do and see! I cannot wait to do it all. The second is fear, b/c I'm terrified of the unknown, and so much of this still is. I'm definitely struggling to trust the Lord to provide finances for the summer. I'm not sure if the substitute teaching thing is going to work out or not, but one my housemates just got a job through a temp agency, so if nothing's happened in the next week or so, I'll probably go for that. Still, I know that I should get as much experience in the schools as possible, so pray that that will happen if it's supposed to (part of me thinks it's the plan for me to go into this 100% unprepared, or else I would've been placed in an urban school for student teaching!).

The biggest blessing so far has been the house. I know I raved about it to just about everyone before I left, so you've heard it, but it's even better than that! It's a thousand times more gorgeous than anything I expected to find in the city for a (relatively) reasonable price. And more importantly, the people are incredible. We had a house meeting last night to kind of put together a vision statement for the coming year and it was so encouraging to hear everyone's hearts for community, worship, and ministry. That alone should be enough to confirm that God is working and has placed me here for a reason.

Today I opened a bank account and filed paperwork for substituting, so I felt productive! Becca and I wandered around downtown a bit and also took the ferry over to Staten Island, which is a surprisingly nice ride, and it's free, so I definitely recommend it. There was a huge warehouse fire in Brooklyn today, and according to the news the smoke was visible in lower Manhattan, but somehow we didn't see any of it. Anyway, we're in for the night, but we've got one more day to play tourists tomorrow before Becca leaves and I have to actually start really working on the job thing. Pray that I will trust and be open to what God has! Thanks :)

Song In My Head: "Faith My Eyes," Caedmon's Call - "But if I must go/Things I trust will be better off without me/But I don't want to know/Cuz life is better off a mystery/So keep 'em coming/These lines on the road/Keep me responsible/Be it a light or heavy load/Keep me guessing/With these blessings in disguise/I'll walk with grace my feet and faith my eyes" - Self-explanatory.

1 comment:

jenny said...

Good to hear that you're there and have a bank account. Don't you owe me $20? hehe